VegMichigan is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization promoting awareness of the health, ethical and environmental benefits of a plant-based, vegan lifestyle.
What We Do
VegMichigan works to educate the public about the many benefits of a plant-based lifestyle, and provides support to anyone interested in a better way of living–one that is healthy, eco-friendly and humane toward all non-human animals. All outreach efforts are funded by memberships and donations.
VegMichigan offers year-round opportunities for learning, socializing and making our world a better place, including:
- The annual VegFest
- Classes, lectures, cooking demonstrations, library displays and other educational programs
- Dinner Club outings to vegan-friendly restaurants
- Monthly vegan potlucks
- Monthly eNewsletter
- Membership program offering free give aways, restaurant discounts, and free admission to our annual VegFest
- Speakers available for local organizations
- Library displays
- A community of like-minded people to support you in your journey toward a healthy, ethical, environmentally responsible, plant-based diet.
Why Go Vegan?
More than 13,000,000 Americans have adopted a plant-based, vegan diet for one or more of these reasons:
- It’s healthier.Many studies show that a meatless diet lowers our risk for heart disease, obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, osteoporosis, many cancers and food-borne illnesses. Vegan diets are typically high in fiber, antioxidants and phytochemicals, and low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- It’s greener.The farming of animals for meat produces extensive pollution of our air, land and waters due to waste and methane gas emissions. Animal agriculture is the leading cause of environmental degradation and was cited in a recent United Nations report as contributing 18 percent of the cause of global warming–more than all transportation sources combined!
- It’s humane.Compassion for animals is growing, as the harsh realities of factory farming–overcrowding, filth, disease and cruelty–are increasingly being exposed. People are realizing it’s not necessary to eat animals for any reason. A vegan lifestyle is a cruelty-free lifestyle!