Easy Vegan Pumpkin or Squash Pie
Pumpkin or Squash Pie
Write a review
- 2 cups well-baked and mashed butternut squash or sugar pumpkin (see Notes)
- ¾ cup firm or extra-firm silken tofu (about half of a 12.3-ounce aseptic package)
- ½ cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or equivalent of nutmeg, allspice, and ginger)
- 9-inch good quality graham cracker or whole grain pie crust
- Vegan Whipped Cream for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the pumpkin or squash pulp in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (except the crust, of course). Process until velvety smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is set and the crust is golden. Let the pie cool completely.
- To serve, cut the pie into 8 wedges; if you'd like, top each with a swirl of Vegan Whipped Cream.
- To make butternut squash or sugar pumpkin easier to handle, you can wrap the whole thing (raw) in foil, put in a baking pan, and bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 to 60 minutes — or until you can pierce all the way through easily with a long knife. Once it cools, you can cut the squash or pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds and fibers. Then, cut into thick slices and pare away the skin, or if the flesh is really soft, just scoop it out with a large spoon.
- If you want to make this in a hurry, you can use a 16-ounce can of pureed pumpkin—but it won’t taste as good or fresh!