Smother your mashed potatoes, stuffing, and everything else on your plate with this tasty gravy!
Write a review
- 2 tsp non-dairy butter, such as Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 lb white mushrooms (about 20 mushrooms), thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp flour or other thickener such as cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2-3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (I used low-sodium, GF tamari)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet and then add chopped mushrooms. After 5 minutes, add 1 tsp of non-dairy butter and a light sprinkle of salt. Cook about 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Place mushrooms in bowl.
- In same pan, add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and saute the onion and celery over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions and celery begin to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp of non-dairy butter and cooked mushrooms back into pan and saute for an additional few minutes.
- In the meantime, in a separate bowl, whisk the flour into the stock along with the tamari, thyme, and black pepper. When there appears to be no lumps, add it to the onion mixture and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, 5-10 minutes.
- For smooth gravy, puree it in a blender or food processor. You may want to play a little with the flavor and add more tamari or pepper to taste. Reheat the mixture if necessary on low heat in a saucepan.
- *Note: Wheat-free, if using cornstarch as thickener. (Also Gluten-free if using a GF tamari.)
- For your mashed potatoes, just substitute Earth Balance butter and soy or almond milk with your favorite mashed potato recipe.